Adventure begins when you break the surface.
We play, learn, & lead with waters spilling from the Virginia Piedmont.
Come Join Us 💧 The water is fine.
COVID 19 Plan
Be Healthy. Be Safe. Be Prepared
We meet on Zoom every week on Monday & Thursday, at 20:00 EDT
Use the button at the top of the page for access. The button is available just before the meeting starts.
Our skipper mandates we complete at diving physical before beginning — or returning to — recreational scuba diving. We need to find a doctor referral from the DAN Physician Referral Network.
Do you plan to have any in-person activities this year?
- Weekly meetings -- Perhaps. Our Zoom sessions are working well. It is unlikely that we will return to face-to-face meetings except for special events.
- Weekend Cruises or activities -- Yes. We never stopped once we added the necessary precautions.
- Long Cruise -- Yes. We intend to sail at Florida Sea Base this summer. We are discussing adding a second event in the local waterways.
With choices for each of the items, such as
- in-person -- Yes, with the necessary precautions.
- Overnight -- Yes, with the necessary precautions.
- Day trips -- Yes, with the necessary precautions.
What guidance did you receive from your local council regarding in person and outdoor activities?
- [Sailing vessels owned by FOSSOM (F) are off limits.] No problem, we will not use F-stuff as they add bureaucracy and undue burdens vs. program value. Our vessels and supplies are ours. The real reason is that the boats are too small to allow compliance with the local executive orders. Again, no problem. Our boats are so small, save Beluga, only one scout can participate at a time.
- [Fishing and other activities were/are not allowed in MD or DC.] No problem. We operate in VA where fishing and boating has remained open for the waters we use. We are scouts that take the necessary precautions to be safe — for the sake of others and themselves — while learning to engage as leaders in the community that will not be free of the virus ever again. If you are a scout, be proud of it. If you are a scout, be prepared. If you are prepared, act like it and take the necessary precautions — regardless if it is rock climbing or breathing.
- [Social distancing/quarantines must be maintained.] No problem. We meet twice weekly via zoom; Our weekly meeting may NEVER go back to in person given the convince. We participate in online ILSS. We join in on virtual camp outs and global training. Our community is not under quarantine so do we stuff, safely. We fish outdoors with room to spare. We kayak & canoe at over a fathom apart. We plan to sail single-handed in our small boats. We have Sea Base bookings for the end of June for our Long Cruise — fallback is a week long trek through regional inland waterways. The key thing that stopped for our ship is SCUBA. We are very eager to hear revised guidance from BSA and the Diver Alert Network (DAN), a SCUBA-medicine industry leader. We read that preliminary findings for divers, post a COVID infection, will sideline them indefinitely. Our ship intends to require complete SCUBA-specific testing and examinations for all participants before heading below.
On the Horizon
Lake Phoenix. 11-13 July-2020. Come join the ship for a weekend of fun in the water.
Dive. Swim. Snorkel. Camp. Hike. Gel. Contact the Boatswain for details.
Skipper has a NO DIVING policy until each complete a dive physical (see our C-19 Plan, above).
- Meal plan
- Transportation plan
- Gear / Packing / Load-out plan
- COVID-19 Social Distancing guidelines
Mariners Museum Madness. You should consider joining us for our pilgrimage to the Newport News to visit the area. Our adventure is on hold while we wait for the state to open; that will not be long now.
Sea Base! We attended Florida Sea Base for the Coral Reef Sailing adventure, in late June 2020, with Troop 2012. We h four sea scouts in the crew. This is going to be fun!
About Sea Scout Ship 2 / Adventure
We are friends from the community, Some of us are dual-registered in Scouts BSA troops.
Our Chartered Organization
Ship 2 is chartered by Centerline Pelorus Consulting. Huzzah! Each adult advisor is approved by Centerline.
Sea Scouts BSA is unique in that "[m]ore trust and responsibility [is] placed on a Sea Scout than all other programs combined.
We challenge them to learn, lead, and pit their skills, ability & judgement against the most dangerous environment humans dare to go."
-- Christopher Russell Davis
Adventure looks different to everyone. To some, it might be a simple as a camping trip, or it could mean a journey around the world.
Amelia Earhart simply stated that adventure is worthwhile within itself. I can get behind that. Sure. But, you honestly can't really define adventure for yourself until you've wrestled with it -- until it's beat you down, and then picked you back up again.
I believe that true adventure exists beyond what you think is safe or obtainable. That's where you see miracles happen, where you get smacked by the harsh reality of the present.
Yvon Chouinard is famous for saying, "It's not adventure until something goes wrong." Without mistakes, or conflict, or breakdowns, your story will simply be boring.
I believe that adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between is the great unknown.
-- Clay Croft, Expedition Overland
Ship 2 Character
Sea Scout Promise
As a Sea Scout, I promise to do my best:
- to guard against water accidents,
- to know the location and proper use of the lifesaving devices on every boat I board,
- to be prepared to render aid to those in need,
- to seek to preserve the motto of the sea: Women and Children First.